From Encyclopedia Dramatica
| FACT ALERT:|
This is serious shit and has been known to cause drama and IRL Ban Hammers. Actually using this might get you v&. The information on page is provided for entertainment purposes only.
LOIC (Low Orbit Ion Cannon) is an app, written in C# and developed by praetox that was exploited during Project Chanology to attack teh $cifags's many web sites. It attempts to DoS the target site by bandwidth raeping, sending TCP, UDP, or HTTP requests to the site until its ass looks like goatse. It is also in the Dangerous Kitten tools pack.
- Get it from Sourceforge Faggots!
- Run (You need to logged in as admin)
- In the "IP" box type in "127.0.0.1" (Yes, the TP3 self protocol)
- Click the obnoxiously huge IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZOR button.
This works by having many people spamming at the server at once. The more people who run LOIC the bigger the damage will be.
Protip: If LOIC gets stuck and doesn't send anymore requests in HTTP/TCP mode, restart flood. Also, higher number of threads means bigger kick but at the expense of your CPU/bandwidth.
Protip for Microshaft XP and Vista users
If you have Windows XP with SP 2 or higher or Vista you can't run LOIC right away as Microshaft's lameass restrictions won't let it really work. To break past the restrictions, you can do one of two things (moar info in Other Links section):
- get Windows TCP/IP patch and run it first
- Get Ubuntu Linux and Dual Boot like a badass motherfucker!
Protip: Use JS LOIC, see below, runs on all systems.
Windows 7 users
After you've applied the TCP-Z patch, run the original LOIC (WIN), packaged with Dangerous Kitten. If you use IRCLOIC you are moar than likely gonna surprise rape your Internet Hate Machine's capability to browse HTTP websites with your browser. Only other applications that require the internet will work, unless you reset your router or modem, which is a constant pain in the arse.
Epic Fail Cannon, Gay Pride Cannon and /War/rior's Battle Cannon
It's a trap. Only use either the original LOIC or IRC-LOIC. Delete EFC, GPC or WBC if you already have them, then run a scan. For more information check out this newpost: http://www.anonnewswire.org/entry/2009/07/31/efc-has-a-backdoor/
The programmer who made the "Epic Fail Cannon" thought it would funny to include a nice old trojan in the EFC code. While LOIC represents the glory and power of anonymous, in its collective power to dominate anyone found deserving their wrath, then being forced into it is just not cool because lulz is only lulz when everyone is part of it, not when its some sweaty basement dweller stealing your hard-earned bandwidth which is better spent on downloading porn
This is obviously a case of the EFC's maker being a gigantic cock-gobler who loves cock and would like some sent to his gaping, leaky and woe-fully unlubricated asshole. If he's any smart, he'll get some curtains an a dog
This is a group-effort sort of program. One person running LOIC alone will not do much, but when multiple people run it at the same time the damage builds up fast. Help the cause: run LOIC today!
—Praetox on IRC
—Praetox on IRC
Newfag and NewEraCracker updated LOIC for the Operation Payback to fix bugs and stuff.
This updated version works on Windows XP or later, and requires Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. It also works on Linux with Mono or Wine with .NET Framework 2.0.
You can also start as hidden.
READ THE README.TXT WHICH IS INCLUDED, newfags.
Works the same as normal LOIC, just doesn't require the .NET framework to run.
How do I use a proxy with LOIC?
- You don't. If you do you will simply be DDoSing the proxy instead. Think of it as trying to shoot a RPG at your neighbor's house behind your own fence. You will just end up destroying your own fence.
What if I get caught and V&d?
- DDoS'ing used to be safe. You used to be able to excuse yourself by saying "My computer was incorporated into a botnet, and then my computer was a zombie," but now the veil afforded by anonymity and working in groups is no more, and you can blame the overreaction to Operation Payback for it. As The Register puts it: "The LOIC does a poor job of preserving users' anonymity, hence the risk for anyone using it that they may come to the attention of local law enforcement agencies." Please take this time to pray for your imprisoned brothers-in-arms.
- Denial of Service - Similar tools on this page.
- Dangerous kitten - You can find it in this package.
- Windows TCP/IP Patch - Remove the connection restriction on Windows XP SP2 and above.
LOIC is part of a series on
Visit the Softwarez Portal for complete coverage.